Matters related to fire protection and life-saving appliances are dealt with by the Sub-Committee on Ship Systems and Equipment (SSE), reporting to the Maritime Safety Committee.
Currently, the meetings are chaired by Mr. Umut Senturk (Turkey) and assisted by Mr. Sergey Tolmachev (Russian Fedeartion) as vice-chair.
As per the established rules of procedures (MSC 92/26/Add.3, annex 40)under the direct instructions of the Maritime Safety Committee and as may be requested by the Marine Environment Protection Committee, the SSE Sub-Committee will consider technical and operational matters related to the following subjects, including the development of any necessary amendments to relevant conventions and other mandatory and non-mandatory instruments, as well as the preparation of new mandatory and non-mandatory instruments, guidelines and recommendations, for consideration by the Committees, as appropriate:
- systems and equipment, including machinery and electrical installations, of all types of ships, vessels, craft and mobile units covered by IMO instruments;
- testing and approval of systems and equipment;
- life-saving equipment, appliances and arrangements; and
- analyses of casualty and incident records relating to ship systems and equipment.
The conventions and other mandatory instruments (as may be amended from time to time) referred to above include, but are not limited to:
- 1974 SOLAS Convention (chapters II-1, II-2, III and other relevant chapters, as appropriate) and the 1978 and 1988 Protocols relating thereto, as appropriate;
- International Code for Application of Fire Test Procedures (FTP Code), for testing related to systems and equipment;
- International Code for Fire Safety Systems (FSS Code), and
- International Life-Saving Appliances (LSA) Code.
The non-mandatory instruments, referred to in paragraph 1, which the Sub-Committee may be called upon to review, include, but are not limited to:
- Code for the Construction and Equipment of Mobile Offshore Drilling Units (MODU Code), for systems and equipment issues;
- Code of Safety for Diving Systems;
- Code on Alerts and Indicators; and
- any recommendations and guidelines relevant to ship systems and equipment.
Any other relevant technical and operational issues referred to it by the Committees or other technical bodies of the Organization may also be dealt with by the SSE Sub-Committee.