Maritime training institutions approved by Member States
The STCW Convention requires that training leading to the issue of a certificate is 'approved'.
The International Maritime Organization does not approve any training courses or institutes. This is a privilege and responsibility of Member Governments who are Parties to the STCW Convention.
Approval is normally given by the Maritime Administration of an STCW Party in accordance with the Convention requirements.
Amongst other things, the Convention requires that training and assessment of seafarers are administered, supervised and monitored in accordance with the provisions of the STCW Code; and those responsible for training and assessment of competence of seafarers are appropriately qualified in accordance with the provisions of the Code.
The initial approval of a maritime training programme by a Maritime Administration might include assessment of items such as those listed below in order to ensure that the training institute or training programme meet the appropriate STCW Convention standards:
- Scope and objectives of the training - e.g. to meet the requirements of STCW regulation II/1.
- Minimum entry standards - age, sea experience, other training, medical fitness etc.
- Intake limitations, student/staff ratio etc.
- Staff qualifications, experience in subject, teaching skills, assessment skills.
- Facilities and equipment necessary to meet objectives.
- The written programmes, syllabus, timetable and course material.
- Method of training: lectures, practical, videos etc and percentage of time devoted to each.
- Assessment: methods: examination, practical, continuous assessment etc.
- Certification to be issued on completion to meet STCW requirements.
- Maintenance of student and other records.
- Security of information.
- Quality standards system requirements to ensure standards are maintained.
The IMO Compendium of Maritime Training Institutes is now available online in the IMO web site.
The contents of the Compendium are based on information provided by maritime administrations and institutions and with the exception of the two institutions under the auspices of IMO (WMU, IMLI), listing in the Compendium implies no endorsement or recommendation of any kind by IMO of the institutions or the courses and facilities.